in the Tambov Area
П, handed the whole horse regiment to the Tambov national militia in
1812, by putting on the horses his own bonded recruits. He also gave
regimentals, armed and supplied the regiment with provisions for three
months. Nobody in Russia made such generous gift for army that time.
Count Stroganov, princess Golitsina, general Lanskoy (the second
husband of Natalya Goncharova), Bashmakov - the Tambov millionaire and
holder of gold mines beyond Urals, old-line noblemen the Naryshkin’s,
the Arapov’s and many other had their own stud farms in Tambov area. The
Lavrovsky stud farm, which nowadays has worldwide glory, was built in
Tambov land by the landowner Voeykov.
The merchantry tried not to drop behind from the aristocracy. One
of the Aseev’s brothers, the holder of Arzhenka cloth factory, has
purchased the stud farm from a widow of the local broken landowner
Kruchenkov. The example of Aseev, but without the raping, was followed
also by other industrial aces from the districts of the region. It was
considered very prestigiously.
We should remember that horse-breeding remained one of the few
worthy commercial activities for the aristocrats. In 1840, when
Chicherin, the relative of our future Minister for Foreign Affairs, has
opened distillery in Lyada and the landowners Tulinov and Poltoratsky
have purchased cloth factories, noble society has apprehended it as
mauvais ton. But the pinces and dukes and members of the tsarist family
very well descended to trading horses from theirs stud farms.
All reading Russia knew from the story by Turgenev about inveterate
chanters from the district city of Tambov region with a beautiful name -
Lebedyan. But only few know today, that the fans of equitation created
there the first Russian association and issued first horseracing
journal. Much earlier than in metropolis and Moscow, the prize-winning
horserace of Oryol trotters were arranged in Lebedyan. Several years
later the same association of equitation fans was also established in
Tambov. This association built on share contributions the three-storey
building for its club on former Dvortsovaya, nowadays Sovietskaya
Street, one of first in the center of our city (now The Department of
Communications). In this club the horse-breeders from all Tambov
districts met at card tables and in the hall of extensive library.
The special page in a history of domestic horse-breeding were
written by the life copers brothers Demin’s from Kozlov. They managed to
get and turn over the blooded trotters even from Khrenov farm of count
Aleksey Orlov. Although, only after his death. While alive the count
strictly forbade selling his horses. Demin’s were in close friendship
with former count’s adscript Vasiliy Ivanovich Shishkin, the manager of
Khrenov farm. Shortly Shishkin opened his own stud farm.
The abundance of private stud farms in the region produced big
horse fairs, beginning from Lebedyanskaya and finishing with
0