Higher education in Ukraine
Higher education is generally recognized as preparing individuals to
realize more fully their human potential, enrich their understanding of
life and make them more productive to society.
Future specialists in various fields of science, technology, economies
and art get a fundamental general and specialized training, all students
regardless of their specialty study foreign languages.
Apart from educational work and schooling Ukrainian higher schools carry
out a great deal of scientific work in all branches of knowledge. They
have either a students’ research Society (Club) or a Technological
Design Bureau which provide excellent facilities for young researches.
Our country needs specialists in all fields of science and all branches
of industry and agriculture. Institutes exist not only in big cities
like Kyiv, Kharkiv, Lviv, but in many towns of Ukraine like Irpin.
Higher educational establishments of our country fall into three main
types. The first type includes the universities and institutes where
there are only full-time students, which receive state grants. Students
who do not live at home get accommodation in the hostels.
The second and third types of higher schools provide educational
facilities for factory and office workers who combine work with studies.
The second type of higher education in establishments includes evening
faculties and evening higher schools for those who study in their spare
The third type covers extra-mural higher schools where students take
correspondence courses. Every year extra-mural students receive from 30
to 40 days’ leave to prepare for their exams.
The diplomas by the evening faculties and extra-mural higher schools
have the same value as the diplomas of all other institutes and
The period of study at higher schools is from 4 to 6 years. According to
the subjects studied there exist three groups of higher schools’
universities, polytechnic and specialized institutes.
1. to realize more fully their human potential – повніше реалізувати
людський – потенціал
2. to enrich their understanding of life – їхнє розуміння життя
3. in various fields – в різних сферах
4. regardless of – незважаючи на
5. apart from – поряд з
6. a great deal of scientific work – великий обсяг наукової роботи
7. to provide excellent facilities – забезпечувати відмінні умови
8. higher educational establishment – вищий навчальний заклад
9. full-time students – студенти стаціонару
10. to receive state grants – одержувати державні пільги
11. to combine work with studies – поєднувати роботу з навчанням
12. to take correspondence courses – навчатися заочно
13. to receive a leave – отримувати відпустку
14. according to – відповідно до