the middle Paleolithic
period (100-40 thousand years ago). During many centuries this territory
was a sort of corridor, through which different peoples passed and where
cultures crossed. Cimmerians, Scythians, Sarmatians, Goths, Huns, Avars,
Khasars, Pechenegs and Slavs left here various archaeological memorials.
After the Tatar-Mongolian invasion of 1237-1240 years the territory of
Zaporizhzhya region was included into the structure of the Golden Horde
for two centuries.
In 1445 Zaporizhzhya steppes on the left side of the Dnipro were
included into the structure of the Crimean Khanate. From the end of XV
to the middle of XIX century nomadic and half-settled Nogays occupied
The natural, geographical and historical conditions of XV-XVI cc. were
favorable for the formation within region of the «Zaporizhzhya
Cossacks». Khortitsia island, which is known from the times of Old
Russia, became one of its strongholds and symbols.
A great significance for Ukraine had the formation from separate Cossack
detachments and industrial artels of social, political and military
organization of Zaporizhzhya Cossacks – Zaporizhzhya Sich.
Zaporizhzhya Sich was the first political formation within territory of
Ukraine with all attributes of a republic. It stayed independent for a
long time and took an outstanding place in the international relations.
European countries established the diplomatic relations and looked for
its military assistance.
At the end of XVIII century the lands of southern Ukraine were included
into the structure of the Russian Empire.
The process of new settling and development of the present Zaporizhzhya
region was complicated. The representatives of many nations took part in
that process, and it resulted in multinational nature of the region. It
also promoted the merge of cultural and economic traditions. The
population of modern Zaporizhzhya region was partly formed by the
Mennonites, Germans, Bulgarians, immigrants from Poland, Serbia, Greece
and Albania. The Jews, the Gagauses created the settlements as well.
Zaporizhzhya became one of the ranges, where the strategic plans of
industrialization of the USSR were implemented. In March 1927 the
building of Dniproges began. It was the most powerful hydroelectric
power station in Europe for those times. The rapid construction of a
complex of new power-consuming enterprises followed the new power plant.
The rapid development of the economy and culture of the region was
interrupted by the Second World War.
One of bright pages in the history of the region was the restoration of
Zaporizhzhya industrial complex – Dniproges and the enterprises of
ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy. In the beginning of 1950 all of the
670 factories and plants were restored.
In 1950-1970 the new branches of industry (electrotechnical and
chemical) were created in the region.
The power potential of the region continued to grow. Alongside with
putting Dniproges-2 into operation, Zaporizhzhya TPS and Zaporizhzhya
  2